Skip to main content

2013

For the first time in years, I've spent New Year's Eve at home and despite what many around me seem to think I've actually had a pretty good evening with my books and some television. And if how your feeling at the stroke of midnight is any indication for how the rest of the year will turn out, hopefully I'll be as content and as at peace through 2013 as I was this evening.

The New Year is a time for resolutions. To make pacts and to promise yourself however foolishly that this time your going to stick to your vows and not abandon them halfway through and I've been thinking about my resolutions for the New Year ever since November and I think I at least have my basic goals and aspirations for the year ahead firmly in place now. And they are as below in random order.






a) Lose Weight:
I've never been hung up on the way I look. I don't hate myself but neither do I love myself and at the best of times, I think I'm thoroughly average-looking. But lately I've not been very happy with myself. And a lot of this has been down to my recent weight gain. I don't feel confident and fit, my stamina levels are way down as well and that has upset me more than anything and I need to recapture that.

b) Read Books:

My family and friends think I read entirely too much. I, on the other hand, think I don't read enough and I think I've read less than I ever have before this year.  So, in 2013, I'm leaning on lists such as this and this to get myself back on track once again. It's not that I won't be reading any books outside of these, but I'm going to try and read everyone on them as my own personal task for this year.





c) House Work: I love my house, but I'm also very lazy when it comes to actually making it a better place to live in and I want to work on changing that in the coming year. I want to paint and hang up more pictures and twirl more fairy lights around pretty glass jars and make it my dream home. I want to learn how to cook. Properly. And how to bake. And not just rely on my superior Maggi and sandwich making skills to get by.





d) Family Matters: While I'm exactly short-tempered, I am hot-tempered and very often, I go up in smoke and snap, only to deeply regret it ten minutes later and then find that the damage is done. So I solemnly swear that in 2013 I'll try harder to keep a guard on my temper, to hold my tongue, to walk away, to not be snappy, to count to ten before I explode.





e) Friendship stuff:  I'm essentially an anti-social person. I have few friends but I'm not someone who opens up about stuff that is personal to me. And in recent years, this mean that I've made fewer friends than previously because I'm less outgoing now. So in 2012, I've made friends and lost friends. I've realised who is important to me and who isn't. I have a better understanding of where I've gone wrong and I'm willing to work on it. But I'm also not as ready to have my tolerance see me kicked in the arse. So, all in all, I'm going to try harder and aim to be a better friend in 2013 and hold on tight to the ones who are worth it.




f) Self-improvement: While this has been a good year, both in terms of work and my personal life, I definitely haven't done enough to enrich myself and this year I plan to take up the Spanish language courses I've been postponing for ages, as well as the dance classes. Hopefully, I'll end 2013 having learned something new.

g) Travel tales: As I once told a colleague, the entire world is like an apple that I want to take a bite out of and I want to travel everywhere. So I hope this year is better than the last in terms of travelling. And let's face it, 2012 was EPIC! I'm hoping I get to travel for work but beyond that I'm already planning my own trips to Tarkali in Maharashtra, Ladakh up north and to Spain, Turkey and Canada. So I'm going to do my best to ensure it all happens!




Besides these, I have some other resolutions that are just as if not more important, but more private and much more personal for me to talk about on here. So let's keep our fingers crossed that I reach my goals for the year ahead.

And equally, I hope that 2013 sees more good than bad, more happiness than grief, more desire than despair and much more sunshine than clouds.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remembering Avanti

Day before yesterday, on the 8th of November 2008, Avanti Desai would have turned 21. Instead 15 days before her birthday, as she hurried home to celebrate her grandmother's birthday, Avanti met with a train accident at Jogeshwari station. Just like that. Gone from our lives forever. Leaving behind a huge void and the world a lot more gloomier. And when I got the call first thing in the morning, I couldn't believe it. I thought it was a cruel sadistic joke, but as the calls kept coming in, I realised it was true. Even at the cemetary,, it still hadn't sunk in that Avanti was no longer here. The worst moment though was watching her disappear into the crematorium, it was horrible and I couldn't believe we were leaving her there, and through the next couple of hours all I could think of was of her going up in smoke while we stood there in the bright sunshine. It seemed incomprehensible at first, to think of Avanti as dead, to talk about her in the past tense, to get

Randomity

I sat here staring at my screen for at least 15 minutes before I could decide what to blog about and as I write this I still have no idea. It's randomness at its best. There are a multitude of thoughts swirling through my head and I'm finding it hart to pinpoint or firmly hold one down. To be precise, what I'm feeling is exactly what Mynie describes in Strings . It's a knotted mess in my head. But I felt that it was time I did a blog post, there have been way too many tags lately and while I love doing tags. It's incredibly cathartic to write a post and get everything off my chest. And while this may seem a mess of a post, there's a lot of stuff that I wanted to talk about but didn't really seem to deserve an entire post to themselves, in terms of content at least. So I'm gonna put them all in here, in what is probably going to turn up to be a hell of a confused post. I'm just going to go with the flow and talk about whatever pops into my head. Cool?

Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal

I watched Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal over the weekend. First day first show in fact and it was fun. A paisa vasool movie if nothing else. Goal absolutely belongs to John Abraham. You cannot take your eyes off him when he's on screen and he does superbly well in a film that doesn't need much histrionics. And his smile. Its just the best. I'm a sucker for nice smiles. The kind where the eyes get all crinkly and his entire face just lights up. Bipasha Basu doesn't have much to do in the film and is incredibly inept at what she does do. She just doesn't come across well. The songs are pretty good. I especially loved Halla Bol. Billo Rani on the other hand is a nonsensical film and would have fitted in better in a movie about UP or Bihar. And how a bunch of footballers who are struggling to pay rent for their club manage to come up with enough money to hire dancers and a vulgar looking singer is beyond me. The movie though doesn't do much for me. The computer animation is